Written by Matt Perdichizzi, goes by @cheezi on the Fantasy Life App
Well, that was fun. With Week 1 in the books, I have some irrational "overreactiony" opinions that need to be shared before jumping into the Week 2 NFL slate.
1. Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy are still fat.
2. Drew Brees is still really good.
3. The Raiders don't like Latavius Murray.
4. Keenan Allen is very unlucky.
5. Theo Riddick and Danny Woodhead are really good at what they do.
6. Aaron Rodgers is a bad man.
7. Bet the "over" in every Saints game ever.
8. The Colts defense is very injured.
9. Never count out Alex Smith.
10. DeAngelo Williams + Antonio Brown = Many points
Now that you've heard what I say, maybe you'll stick around for some FIRE DraftKings picks. For the guys I mentioned last week that actually played, I did pretty well. (Brees, Woodhead, Riddick, Decker, Abdullah). I didn't expect Sammy Watkins to do nothing, but hey, at least I didn't say Kenny Sti... wait never mind...
Here's some guys I like...
1. Matt Ryan $6,800 @ OAK- So Week 1 I was all in on Drew Brees playing this Raider squad, worked well. With a less sexy player like Matty Ice, I don't think his ownership will be too high and I think he'll string together another 300+ yarder and multi-score game.
2. Carson Wentz $5,500 @ CHI- I don't think Wentz will be great long term, but he certainly looked fine against the Browns in his first career game. I gotta feeling he can replicate that success against this Bears team that made Brock Osweiler look solid.
3. Eli Manning $7,600 vs NO- Drew Brees $8,200 @ NYG- It's obvious this game will be crazy high scoring. We all remember this one last year. While I don't think the total hits 100 again it could be close. These guys are a little too chalky for me to get on board in tournaments, but both are safe cash plays.
1. Devonta Freeman $6,100 @ OAK- So I'm in on the Falcons. Freeman still out-snapped Tevin Coleman and shouldn't be too highly owned. Definitely not a cash game guy, but nice tournament play.
2. CJ Anderson $6,800 vs IND- I'm not much of a CJ Anderson believer, but if they continue to feed him like they did opening night, he could easily be a top 5 back this year. This week, home to the Colts, who let three different RBs score a TD in week 1-money in the bank.
3. Jeremy Langford $4,600 vs PHI- Langford didn't boast a great yards per touch verse the Texans, but he did get 19 touches which was good for 18 more than the next guy (K. Carey). I expect that trend to continue and at this price tag I don't think he can be ignored.
4. Theo Riddick $4,300 vs TEN- Last week, I said I love Riddick in cash games every week. If you rolled him out in a tournament kudos to you. I'm afraid this week too many people will be on him so I think he's someone to target in cash games again.
5. Shane Vereen $3,800 vs NO- Like I discussed above, this game will be high scoring and will be filled with fantasy goodness. You're going to want to get in on this in anyway possible. With a solid price tag and this matchup, very good cash and tournament play for me.
1. Odell Beckham Jr $9,500, Sterling Shepard $5,200, and Victor Cruz $4,300 vs NO... AND Brandin Cooks $8,000, Willie Snead $5,800, and Michael Thomas $4,000 @ NYG- You see what I'm getting at right? Dak Prescott had all day to pick apart the Giants secondary, imagine Drew Brees having time to let his guys run deep. I think just loading up on these guys in tournaments is the best strategy, something like an Eli, OBJ, Cruz stack seems like something I would encourage.
2. Travis Benjamin $4,400 vs JAC- With Keenan Allen gone, a lot of targets open up in this offense. Maybe this will ignite a spark for Benjamin to run deep like he did for Cleveland last season. This price tag seems like a good tournament play.
3. Steve Smith Sr. $4,300 @ CLE- Old man Steve may have only gotten 19 yards last week, but he did have a team-high 9 targets. Carson Wentz was able to pick apart this defense which leads me to believe Flacco and Smith can do the same.
4. Kelvin Benjamin $6,500 vs SF- This game could get ugly early. If that's the case, it's likely due to Benjamin being a monster. He looked like a men among boys in his opener verse the Broncos so with a much easier matchup hosting the 49ers, I can see an even bigger day.
1. Jacob Tamme $2,900 @ OAK- This position is scary, so the strategy should be to punt or pay up for Gronk/Reed. "Start your tight ends against Oakland." Tamme had 8 targets in Week 1. I'll settle with 5 targets as long as 2 or 3 are in the red zone which they should be.
2. Coby Fleener $3,900 @ NYG- He was apart of my list of guys I didn't like last week and I felt very smart. I know the box score makes it seem like he wasn't there, but he was! Nobody is going to want to use him after how terrible he was last week, so I'm a fan for tournaments, even though I think he's really bad at football.
3. Greg Olsen $5,600 vs SF- If you want to play it safe, pay up for Olsen. Since Week 6 of last season (playoffs included), he has 11 games with double digit points on DraftKings.
Alright, no more Mr. Nice Guy: Here's some guys I'm avoiding...
1. Ben Roethlisberger $7,500 vs CIN- Here's his DraftKings point totals in the 3 games he played against the Bengals last year: 11.5, 10.9, 13.2.
2. Aaron Rodgers $7,800 @ MIN- Last season both of his games verse the Vikings were below 20 points on DraftKings. While he is Aaron Rodgers I'd avoid him in cash games.
**Warning** The 2 guys I picked last week here were DeMarco Murray and Matt Forte
1. Thomas Rawls $5,500 @ LA- Rams have a solid defense, and I think the Seahawks don't really like this guy.
2. Todd Gurley $7,500 vs SEA- The Seahawks have a very solid defense, and if you're paying this much for a running back, go after David Johnson who's awesome.
1. Dez Bryant $8,400 @ WAS- Why would anyone put this guy on their team? He drops everything and is the biggest diva in the league. If he was $2,000 less maybe I'd use him in a tournament.
2. Jarvis Landry $6,400 @ NE- Bill will know to stop this man. He's done it in the past and should do it again.
1. Jordan Reed $6,800 vs WAS- In both games against the Cowboys last year, he had less than 50 yards and 5 catches. Also why not pay an extra $100 for Rob Gronkowski.
2. I can't really hate many people they're all dart throws...I will say this, don't go after the Giants TEs because you will guess incorrectly.
Alright I'm done. I know I made money last week and hopefully I helped you. Best of luck week 2.